Friday, November 14, 2008

Aliyah - A Journey Towards God

Aliyah
Spiritually Ascending to Mount Zion









Lately, I have been asked a few times what my daughter Aliyah's name means. I thought I would share it here because I find the meaning to be quite profound. This post is dedicated to her...my little princess Aliyah. "Aliyah" which means 'to ascend' is 'growing in the knowledge and understanding of God by climbing a spiritual ladder.' A journey towards God (making aliyah before God) is a step-by-step spiritual journey (lifestyle) with the goal being to grow in spiritual understanding, knowledge, intimacy, and maturity of the things in the Kingdom of God. The spiritual understanding of "aliyah" is that you are ascending to a higher place in God -- a deeper knowledge and revelation of God -- than where you were previously. You are growing in the knowledge of God and therefore God is taking you into a deeper understanding of knowing Him than you previously knew of Him. Isn't that beautiful? I know having my baby girl has certainly progressed me further on my journey towards God and deepened not only my understanding of Him, but of also of myself. Motherhood is simply an amazing blessing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is beautiful! and such a perfect description of faith...a lifelong journey always drawing closer to our Father. :)